BLEEDIN' FOR AMINA!
A blood drive in honor of the world's best podcast co-host
Are you ready to save some lives and show your support for Amina at the same time? HELL YES. Join other CYG listeners (and general fans of Amina) in donating blood this March and April.
In December, Amina was diagnosed with endometrial cancer. Thankfully, her doctors caught it early and she is getting top-notch medical care. Throughout her diagnosis and treatment, she has received countless blood transfusions. This blood drive is a way for us to show our support for her. These donations won't directly go to Amina, but they will help many, many other people in need. Let's give them—and her!—lots of CYG love.
Step 1: Are you eligible?
To donate blood in the U.S., you must meet the following criteria:
- 18 years or older. (16 and 17 year olds may donate with a signed parental consent form—contact the blood bank where you wish to donate for more info.)
- Weigh at least 110 lbs.
- Generally in good health.
- Have valid identification such as a driver’s license, DMV identification card, passport, etc.
You are not eligible if:
- You are a man who has had sex with another man in the past year.
- You are a person with symptoms or laboratory evidence of HIV infection.
- You have a history of hepatitis after the age of 11, or a positive lab test for the virus.
- You have injected yourself with drugs not prescribed by a physician.
- You visited or lived in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Gibraltar or Falkland Islands for a total of 3 months or more from 1980 thru 1996.
- You have spent a total of 5 years or more in Europe since 1980.
- You have traveled to countries with malaria risk. (Click here for more info.)
- You have engaged in sex for money or drugs since 1977.
Read more about eligibility criteria here. These regulations are set by the FDA and not our blood bank partners. Blood banks must comply with the FDA regulations. (We at CYG personally consider some of these regulations to be discriminatory.)
If you are not eligible to give blood but still want to help out, click here for some suggestions.
If you are eligible, let's do this!
STEP 2: FIND YOUR CITY
Don't see your city listed? You can still be part of this drive!
STEP 3: TELL YOUR FRIENDS!
We want you to post to social media about giving blood! Grab the logo from our instagram @callyrgf, or use the hashtag #bleedin4amina.
And encourage the people in your world to become donors, too. Bring them with you when you donate—maybe even find a blood buddy who wants to become a recurring donor with you.
STEP 4: SEND AMINA SOME GOOD VIBES
And finally, we're collecting messages and photos (a cute post-donation selfie, maybe? or a photo of a handwritten note?) for Amina, which we'll get bound into a nice book so she can read all of your well-wishes at once.
Thanks to everyone who has made this blood drive possible with donations of time, money, and space. Special thanks to The Harnisch Foundation, Wright Bros. Brew & Brew, Ace Hotel Chicago, New Women Space, Blood Centers of the Pacific, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, LifeSource, New York Blood Center, and Jourdan Abel.